Can your Conscience be your Guide?
You no doubt have heard the expression: Let your conscience be your guide.
However, can your conscience always be trusted as a reliable guide of what God is telling you?
The conscience was not given primarily as a positive force to guide but rather as an alarm system
to warn and protect us from sin. The Lord has provided born again Christians with the Holy Spirit,
who accurately leads us in any kind of decision we must make.
God not only works through the conscience
to make us aware of sin. As we listen to His voice and heed His warnings, He purifies and sharpens our
conscience so that it aligns more precisely with the Word and will of God.
So in order to trust your conscience, there is rules and guidelines that have to be met.
1. When you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
2. When the Word of God is the basis for your conduct.
3. When you have a strong desire to obey God.
4. When you prayerfully consider the decision to make.
5. When your conscience stops you when you consider doing or thinking something wrong.
6. When you feel guilty immediately about doing something wrong.
7. When you feel compelled to repent for doing something wrong.
¶ I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience
also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, Romans 9:1