The Book of Proverbs
1. ¶ A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
2. ¶ The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
3. ¶ The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
4. ¶ A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
5. ¶ A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
6. ¶ In the house of the righteous is much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.
7. ¶ The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
8. ¶ The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
9. ¶ The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
10. ¶ Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.
11. ¶ Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
12. ¶ A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
13. ¶ A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
14. ¶ The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
15. ¶ All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
16. ¶ Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
17. Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
18. ¶ A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
19. ¶ The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.
20. ¶ A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.
21. ¶ Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
22. ¶ Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
23. ¶ A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!
24. ¶ The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
25. ¶ The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
26. ¶ The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.
27. ¶ He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
28. ¶ The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
29. ¶ The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
30. ¶ The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat.
31. ¶ The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
32. ¶ He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
33. ¶ The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.